Free items from Phishers.

w0lk

So, Polar gave me a "headspinning" question. It's about Pearly's guide.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=299410392

Honestly, would SR admins really care that you get a free item from a phisher? Let's say a low value item, 0.4$ - 1.79$ value item. I mean that's the rule, trading with scammers is prohibited, but what If you fool a scammer this way?

If you killed someone who was trying to kill you will you go to jail for it ? So i don't think you would be marked if you took free items from someone who is trying to take your items for free :P

I'm not sure if "he got some free items from a phisher" would amount to "this user can't be trusted" unless he got a high value item from it (like an unusual). Then I would be weary.

If you killed someone who was trying to kill you will you go to jail for it ? So i don't think you would be marked if you took free items from someone who is trying to take your items for free :P

Thats like saying, if you stole money from the government, who is stealing money, will you go to jail for it? hehe.

Thats like saying, if you stole money from the government, who is stealing money, will you go to jail for it? hehe.

That's like saying steamrep is run by phishers

SR's policy about scamming scammers is quite clear from several famous examples including - http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561197994163065-vlijm-d.30106/

Scam is a scam is a scam according to them (I think?). Bob asked me whether he could chargeback google. I passed him along to an SR mod who gave an extremely clearcut answer - not a chance.

Whether this is right or wrong, I don't know. I can see the concern they would have about vigilantes scamming people they think are scammers without due diligence. But if the case is as clear cut as a phisher add or a huge chargeback scam?

Do you really want steam to see your getting items @ no cost from a phisher? If you do it enough you are asking for some attention from steam.

This has been discussed so many times.

My opinion:

Trading with a Scammer is prohibited.

It will also get you banned, as it is very likely that you get caught.

But:

You are not going to get a Unusual / Any item wich is actually worth something from the Phisher. Maybe just a hat.

In the comments of my guide ~3 people claimed that they got unusuals, but every sindle of them had 0 unusuals and a ~1$ backpack, idk why they were lying.

You are also not ''trading'' with the scammer, he's giving you free items wich is a gift.

About the ''You are scamming them =SR Ban'' thing:

You ask him to give you items, you dont even have to say ''ill klick the link afterwards'', only something like ''to see if i can trust you''.

That's not scamming

SR's policy about scamming scammers is quite clear from several famous examples including - http://forums.steamrep.com/threads/76561197994163065-vlijm-d.30106/

Scam is a scam is a scam according to them. Bob asked me whether he could chargeback google. I passed him along to an SR mod who gave an extremely clearcut answer - not a chance.

Whether this is right or wrong, I don't know. I can see the concern they would have about vigilantes scamming people they think are scammers without due diligence. But if the case is as clear cut as a phisher add or a huge chargeback scam?

So in short, scamming scammers is wrong too and should be avoided at any costs. Makes it clear.

Edit. I gave the ak back to the last owner who had it.

You are also not ''trading'' with the scammer, he's giving you free items wich is a gift.

Not really true. Per your post, you have a verbal agreement with a scammer that you will add the friend once he gives the item. When you don't "add" the friend, you are breaking a verbal agreement which is still scamming a scammer. Again, personally don't have any issue with this. But whether the item is 1 cent of 1000 dollars, the idea of a scam doesn't change. Scam is a scam.

Not really true. Per your post, you have a verbal agreement with a scammer that you will add the friend once he gives the item. When you don't "add" the friend, you are breaking a verbal agreement which is still scamming a scammer. Again, personally don't have any issue with this. But whether the item is 1 cent of 1000 dollars, the idea of a scam doesn't change. Scam is a scam.

someone in the comments of my guide had a good answer here, sec

i looked through 32 fucking pages of comments to find this.

''[...]Ithe reason this wouldn't be a scam is because you promised no money or items in return, you promised only to add their friend. The problem is after they gave you the items you realized their link was incorrect so you just typed in their URL only with the steamcommunity part of that corrected and it either took you to no profile or if it did the person who owned it had no idea what you are talking about. No scamming to it.''

^my opinion, but we could discuss all day and night about that.

Cant you just say something like, you didnt click on the link, but you tried adding the "friend" through steam's "add a friend feature"? ( http://steamcommunity.com/search/users/ )

Do you really want steam to see your getting items @ no cost from a phisher? If you do it enough you are asking for some attention from steam.

Valid point.  It makes you look like an alt or an accomplice.

What about scamming the scammers and giving the items back to the people they scammed?

Touchy subject.  You can kill someone that is obviously guilty of a heinous crime (A Time to Kill) and get away with it, even though by the word of the law he should be found guilty of murder.  Just a movie reference I found interesting and I know it was made for entertainment, but still an interesting question none-the-less.

Archived