Can somebody explain this to me?

>Sneaks

So, we're all familiar with what duping is, right?

I've heard of the time when a ton of people duped many hats (tossle caps, TCs, etc.)

The most common method I remember hearing about was people sending reports to Valve saying that they're account got hijacked and then Valve would restore the item to them.

Now, here's my question:

How do people still manage to dupe hats? I'm not going to but I naturally assumed that most 1st and 2nd gen hats were dirty all 3rd gens were clean (until I heard the the DP Hat of Cards I wanted to get was duped.)

I thought steam support would have some safeguards against this?

Also, are there any other methods to check if a hat is duped? I've been  using tf2items but, as of late, whenever I inspect a bp I get a meesage saying that the item in question was not found in the database.

Please, ancient ones, enlighten a scrub like me.

when one's items get hijacked and they contact support to get their items back

support dupes the backpack and recreates it because the original may have been bought legitimately by a trader who didn't do anything wrong

there are sometimes exploits that allow a user to dupe a hat, but if they exist, they get patched immediately

• Administrators

So, we're all familiar with what duping is, right?

Yes, we are.

How do people still manage to dupe hats? I'm not going to but I naturally assumed that most 1st and 2nd gen hats were dirty all 3rd gens were clean (until I heard the the DP Hat of Cards I wanted to get was duped.)

People can't dupe hats as far as I can tell. Dupe hats now comes from Steam themselves. When someone gets hijacked and get their account stolen along with their items. Once they recover the account, valve makes duplicates of the items the person had right before the hijacking, thus creating dupes.

I thought steam support would have some safeguards against this?

They are. There aren't any way around to make dupes, even if someone finds a way which is unlikely...Valve usually patches the exploit immediately.

Also, are there any other methods to check if a hat is duped? I've been  using tf2items but, as of late, whenever I inspect a bp I get a meesage saying that the item in question was not found in the database.

Well, you say you use tf2items...If you can't use that, use backpack.tf history. It will say something like "Warning! : This item appears to have been duped"

Still can't find out? There are few YouTube videos about this matter, you can watch them. If you can't find any, let me know. Just keep in mind that unusual dupe hats does not matter until or unless they are worth over 3 buds.

Please, ancient ones, enlighten a scrub like me.

I just did you scrub ;)  :wub:

There was an exploit where there was 2 different types of trades. There was steam trade and in game trade. They would make a trade with each one and put the same item and each trade and trade them to friends and it would make a couple of it each time. So people would to that with their items for hours on end (Started with Max Heads, hence why level 1 's are atrociously duped) then they went with unusuals and so forth. Then there was a dupe exploit with gift wrap that was rather complicated, then another with screwing with the game coding that would dupe items. Then there was the giving your items to an alt and complain to valve you were hijacked so they would dupe your items and you get the items back from your friend as well as a dupe.

The only possible way to check for dupes is to check the backpack of each past user, the backpack.tf dupe warning is a piece of crap and is accurate 20% of the time. Tf2items can't even find the item 70% of the time, and histories usually are off. Only sure way is to check other backpacks.

The only possible way to dupe is to have valve restore your items after being hijacked (Which is still difficult to get back)

The most common method I remember hearing about was people sending reports to Valve saying that they're account got hijacked and then Valve would restore the item to them.

They check now, before when hijacking wasnt as popular as it is valve would process it a lot easier...etc but because they are now aware of the economy and how dupes impacts it badly they check and quite frankly are a bitch to get your backpack restored.

If found to be true they restore your backpack once and once. Many people ive seen who legit got their account hijacked had valve refusing to restore their backpack

I just did you scrub ;)  :wub:

Thank you, ancient one.

The only possible way to check for dupes is to check the backpack of each past user, the backpack.tf dupe warning is a piece of crap and is accurate 20% of the time. Tf2items can't even find the item 70% of the time, and histories usually are off. Only sure way is to check other backpacks.

Ah, okay. I did try that on the Hat of Cards I sought but and it looked legit but I'm also assuming there were users whose weren't on outpost and thus weren't included in the history.

I really appreciate this guys, thank you.

Sincerely,

An enlightened scrub

• Administrators

I have no choice but to agree with you 100% on this :P

Archived