Mo bo's for hobos? (Motherboard question)

Shawnee

Looking to upgrade my desktop over the next year or two.. Considering the context of the forumboard, I think you know what it's for.

What's the best Intel-based motherboard that I should be getting? Considering price and performance.

Socket 1150 I suppose?

Take a look at the Asus z97-a, many great features for the price, high quality stuff, good asus bios etcetc. This is basically the sweet spot for 1150 motherboards.

I personally like Msi boards. I currently of the Msi z87m gaming in my PC and I'm going to be putting the Msi z97s sli plus in my college build in about a month.

But anything from asus, asrock, gigabyte, or Msi will do just fine. Just be sure to get the right chipset for your needs.

H87/97 if you have no intention to overclock and no intention to SLI. (Pretty much whichever is cheaper since the only difference is official support for devils canyon chips, which are only better than regular haswell chips as they run a bit cooler (irrelevant if you're not oc'g).

Z97 if you intend to overclock or SLI*.

H97 boards can support xfire, but not sli.

I personally like Msi boards. I currently of the Msi z87m gaming in my PC and I'm going to be putting the Msi z97s sli plus in my college build in about a month.

But anything from asus, asrock, gigabyte, or Msi will do just fine. Just be sure to get the right chipset for your needs.

H87/97 if you have no intention to overclock and no intention to SLI. (Pretty much whichever is cheaper since the only difference is official support for devils canyon chips, which are only better than regular haswell chips as they run a bit cooler (irrelevant if you're not oc'g).

Z97 if you intend to overclock or SLI*.

H97 boards can support xfire, but not sli.

Guess we're on the same page, this is for my future college build (I've got two years.)

I have absolutely 0 intention to sli, but I'm uncertain about overclocking. Never done it before, and don't know much about it.

My current motherboard is MSI.

Never do the mistake to just stick to one brand because you've had good experiences with them earlier.

The motherboard that you should get is the asus z97-a, if you use the money to motherboard ratio.

Also never cheap out and get a H-chipset or a locked cpu, sure you might not want to overclock it now, but you don't know what your needs are in a few years down the road, or if you want to sell it in the feature you will have a much easier time to sell unlocked cpu's and motherboards that can overclock.  You won't even save that much money.

Never do the mistake to just stick to one brand because you've had good experiences with them earlier.

The motherboard that you should get is the asus z97-a, if you use the money to motherboard ratio.

Also never cheap out and get a H-chipset or a locked cpu, sure you might not want to overclock it now, but you don't know what your needs are in a few years down the road, or if you want to sell it in the feature you will have a much easier time to sell unlocked cpu's and motherboards that can overclock.  You won't even save that much money.

My current motherboard and cpu (i5 2500k) can both overclock. Have never done it, am still proud of the decision.

Can i ask why you chose OC over SLI?

I can run just about everything that I run now with my GT 220. I don't see the need to buy two graphics cards to SLI them.

My current motherboard and cpu (i5 2500k) can both overclock. Have never done it, am still proud of the decision.

Still does not change the fact that you might sell it later, almost no one wants to buy old cpu's that are not unlocked. The overclockable cpu is like 10 bucks more expensive at most, that's definitely worth it.

Still does not change the fact that you might sell it later, almost no one wants to buy old cpu's that are not unlocked. The overclockable cpu is like 10 bucks more expensive at most, that's definitely worth it.

I was never trying to say that I didn't want to sell it .-. I was just trying to point out that I've already followed your advice .-.

I was never trying to say that I didn't want to sell it .-. I was just trying to point out that I've already followed your advice .-.

i read it wrong then i guess, i thought you meant that you didn't regret that you never overclocked

Stay the fuck away from asrock mobos, that's all I have to say.

Just look for the best reviewed stuff in your price range, Z97 is also a good idea

Archived