Clarification on the pricing of unusuals with offers and seller's word

CocoaNut

So I'm a little unclear in regards to the cheat sheet for unusual pricing involving reverse overpay. I ran a search for it and still nothing, so I thought I'd ask for some clarification here before I track down this stuff.

I recently went through all the histories of a particular hat that I'm trying to price, and much to my surprise, it seemed as though none of the selling trades that ended within the past 2 months were successful. The hat changed hands, but not through any offers posted on the hat's trade.

So here's my first question: In regards to pricing with people successfully offering it on other hats. So let's say that, in this trade, Catbug not only accepted kranner's offer of a KAW Dixie, but that the hat in that trade was not out of date in its pricing. Would it then be appropriate to use that trade as proof? If so, what's the protocol for calculating its price? Can I price a hat solely on multiple successful offers, or do I need a successful selling trade?

Second question: If I contact a seller and s/he tells me the offer that s/he took for the hat, do I then need to ask for proof (such as an inventory history screenshot), or is a screenshot of the chat enough? Basically, do we take sellers at their word when contacting them or do we demand proof?

I figured I'd ask before I try to track down the right trades or the sellers.

Edit: Side question: What's the protocol for backpack history? I've seen some use it as proof, but I'm not entirely sure how it works in regards to proof.

You need a successful sale, not just accepted offers.

You need to get the person who claims to have traded Blank for Blank to provide screenies showing that said trade happened and that the items are what they are. Then have them upload those pictures to imgur where you will use them as proof. Backpack histories work too.

Archived