Tf2 Economy - How long will it last?

Grimes

Pretty much the title.

I'm fully cashed out now, so i'm looking forward to the tipping point where tf2 items become worthless, and its impossible to cash out :D.

My guess would be 2 more years.

• Administrators

From looking at the recent big sales and how many users are still coming into the game, I don't think anytime soon.

Every one's cashing out because they know it cannot go on forever, just my guess. I give it another year or two.

• Administrators

My guess would be 2 more years.

Every one's cashing out because they know it cannot go on forever, just my guess. I give it another year or two.

Probably about a year, miscs are killing unusuals and new updates kill others.

Some people keep saying "another year or two" But at the end they turn out to be wrong :P

Don't loose hope. ;)

People have been "cashing out" since the game began. I "cash out" more than the average person's bp every week or 2. The ease that keys and buds still sell for REAL money is a clear indication that people are still very interested in the TF2 economy. Keys sell for MORE now than they did only a few months ago.

• Administrators

People have been "cashing out" since the game began. I "cash out" more than the average person's bp every week or 2. The ease that keys and buds still sell for REAL money is a clear indication that people are still very interested in the TF2 economy. Keys sell for MORE now than they did only a few months ago.

Exactly. You said what needed to be said ^_^

The game is a staple to the community market and don't think it will fade away in time, easily. Because unusuals are becoming easier to obtain in the hands of ordinary players doesn't mean the mann conomy is going down or will fade. There are unusuals that cost more now than they have ever cost before and it shows there is huge and more demand for those unusuals. 

Tf2 keys in particular are valuable to users who don't even play or trade for tf2 items. 

People have always cashed out and cashed in. 

You will need a new team fortress game that makes players from tf2 to stop playing and move on. And having the items from tf2 stay only in tf2 

It is completely inevitable that it will come to an end. No game lasts forever that keeps the users interest peaked. Technologies improve, the gamers that "grew up" with certain games get older and move on to real world things (you hope), and new games come out that become more interesting to the consumers that wish to put their money into entertainment. 

Many times, a sequel or triology of a game kills off the earlier versions. TFC (Team Fortress Classic) is a perfect example of this. I along with many of my 25-35 year old friends played TFC because it was a great game for our college years when we were in our 18-22 age range. It was a fun game to play, but the technologies and graphics in it became archaic and other new games came out that did more with improved technologies. TF2 when it was released was easy to move over to because of improved gameplay and graphics and also because Valve and the TF2 team were committing a lot of time to it with many updates. TFC had very few updates for many years leading up to it's fall. 

So this really leads to, what are the signs going to be that the TF2 era is coming to an end?

1. Lack of updates from the developers. It's hard to tell how this will play out. On the one hand, Valve and the TF2 team have really slowed in updates in order to let the community make new maps, weapons, cosmetics which now drive the updates. So really the answer to this is, the updates will stop when the community loses interest. 

2. Number of players on the servers decreases as well as the amount of funds going into the game (Premium upgrades, keys, TF2 store items). With a decrease in players, it will slow trading as it will become harder to find players to take the items you wish to sell. Players will then be forced to undercut prices for items, which will cause many items to crash in value. Any items that can still be sold via the SCM will increase in value (especially keys) as it will be the best way for players to transfer TF2 funds into Steam funds to buy other games and not lose their investment. 

The "when" is hard to say, but given the way technology advances and the way Valve has started to push community buy/sell/trading in other games (Dota2, CS:GO), it could be less than 5 years. You have to remember TF2 has already been going for 7 years, which is pretty old in the lifespan of a game to be active and at its peak. 

Any items that can still be sold via the SCM will increase in value (especially keys) as it will be the best way for players to transfer TF2 funds into Steam funds to buy other games and not lose their investment.

It's funny that if a lot of people want to cash out by selling keys on SCM, the key price on SCM goes up instead. It's clear that a lot of people are buying keys from SCM if it's increasing in price (or less people are selling their keys on SCM). If a lot of people are turning their TF2 Funds to Steam Wallet, keys would be $2.05 USD right now because everyone will try to keep lowering their prices just to beat eachother to cut the line.

It's funny that if a lot of people want to cash out by selling keys on SCM, the key price on SCM goes up instead. It's clear that a lot of people are buying keys from SCM if it's increasing in price (or less people are selling their keys on SCM). If a lot of people are turning their TF2 Funds to Steam Wallet, keys would be $2.05 USD right now because everyone will try to keep lowering their prices just to beat eachother to cut the line.

Yes, but you're missing my point. The point is this isn't happening now, but it would be something to look for when the economy is showing signs of weakness or that its near the end. The economy is working right now and this is backed up partially by the flow of keys in and out of the economy via the steam market being relatively equal. 

Sadly, I think it may die in a couple of years too. ;c

Lots of items appear to be dropping in price. Just looks at the latest changes.

J9HRLMv.png

• Administrators

J9HRLMv.png

Item has been dropping and rising since the beginning. If you expect an item to stay where its at, you have no idea of basic economics at all.

I don't *know how this leads to economy dying at all. 

Item has been dropping and rising since the beginning. If you expect an item to stay where its at, you have no idea of basic economics at all.

I don't how this leads to economy dying at all. 

That was a little harsh. :c

• Administrators

That was a little harsh. :c

Well, you made it sound like "since some/many items are dropping this leads to crash of economy"   :P

My apologies if it seems harsh :wacko: I said what is truth and fact :P

J9HRLMv.png

A lot of those items are very new, so of course they're going to go down in price. Craft hats are also going down in price a little bit since they went up due to bread boxes and those can no longer be crafted. There's also more items being added to the game on a regular basis, which reduces the demand on each specific item and thus is likely to lead to lower prices across the board. And of course the Terror-Watt Swagman's Swatter will go down as well, it's an over-priced summer effect.

A lot of those items are very new, so of course they're going to go down in price. Craft hats are also going down in price a little bit since they went up due to bread boxes and those can no longer be crafted. There's also more items being added to the game on a regular basis, which reduces the demand on each specific item and thus is likely to lead to lower prices across the board. And of course the Terror-Watt Swagman's Swatter will go down as well, it's an over-priced summer effect.

yeah you cant really base your opinion for the entire economy on newly released hats.

The economy will die when valve spam ms to many unusuals killing the market.

Misc market is dying since valve keeps adding so many to it, third gen and spam of unusual effects so short after each other last year killed the unusual market and only now has it started to stabilise.

Many people invest into tf2 because they can make a profit, if valve screws with the market too much they will cease to invest

Archived