can cops physicaly assault the public for "having no id"

Autogen

31 members have voted

1. 1. Should cops assault people if they are not doing anything wrong?

• Yeah, defiantly
    • Hell no! They cant do that!

this is my cousin getting slapped by an indian cop at town hall in australia.

Just wanted to get peoples opinions on the matter.

We would need the full story from both sides before we can post anything tbh.

Upon request (valid one) I believe the police should have the access to get an ID from you. But they should be a little more patient than this. In most cases with these cops videos I've seen on youtube, both parties done something wrong.

But once again, if you could tell us why they wanted his ID it'll be easier for us to state opinions. Doubt a few police officers was standing around him for ~40s (video duration), so full story should tell more.

I can't really judge using this video, but I've seen multiple videos of Australian police using violence unnecessarily.

And people wonder why people are afraid of police. This is the reason.

cops are generally assholes.  there are probably some exceptions to this, but I haven't seen any, and several members of my family are and were cops.  don't trust police, don't talk to them if you can avoid it, and record everything if you do.

Is he saying:

"OI'M NOT RESTRAINING AT AUL!"

If so, then:

"You keep using that word...I do not think it means what you think it means"

On topic: Coppers are assholes, and they shouldn't harass people, but if you refuse to do what they say, you're asking for it. It's not as if people aren't fully aware that coppers are likely to whack/taze/arrest/shoot someone for next to nothing.

But, uh, go talk to a lawyer, not the internet.

So in essence cop asks if you have a ticket, you dont show it so he asks for your ID and you dont give it and you're complaining. When a cop asks for your ID just give them your ID, not doing so gives them reason to believe you're hiding something.

So yes your cousin was doing something wrong and his attitude was just asking for more trouble

EDIT: If he didnt have his ID just say "sorry sir i didnt bring my ID" not go "why is he asking for my ID?"  i.e. makes it seem you're hiding something by being overly defensive.

I'd like both sides of the story thanks. 

EDIT: If you're going to act like a prick to people just doing their job, you're kinda asking for it. Imagine how many smart-asses they must have to deal with on a daily basis. Frankly im surprised people are shocked when cops lash out.

As someone From Australia, No, cops have no Right to Physically Assault you Unless you're the one Being abusive and they Have to get Physical.

though it looks like the Slapping is to the Fact that they're being Recorded, since they keep going for the phone and don't want their face recorded, in which case they should Ask to not be Recorded.

I do know that I would be Shagged if a Cop asked me for ID. But they'd not get Violent unless they're power mad.

Why are people so against cops? They're doing their job and if you piss them off and be a smart ass I think they have the right to tell you to quit it and do whatever is necessary. If you don't show your ID it seems like you're hiding something and you could be breaking the law.

I guess your cousin pretty much asked for it, so it's not the cop's fault, tell your cousin to obey the law and do what he's told, instead of saying "OI MATE WHY DO YA WANT ME ID?"

Also, why would he randomly record cops? That seems pretty suspicious to me, and I guess I can see why he got hurt.

On the other hand, there wasn't really a need to physically hurt someone like that, so I can't REALLY make a decision until I hear both sides of the story.

He was simply asking why they wanted his ID, I can't make a correct assumption as it's a 40 second video but if I got held up by police asking for my ID, i'd at least want to know why.

Regardless of the situation, I don't think authorities should be able to just bitch slap people across the face like that.

I read in the description that your cousin's taking legal action against the officer, and I fully support him in doing so, that guy should be fired from "serving" and "protecting" the people. 

But, uh, go talk to a lawyer, not the internet.

Best advice ever. By the way, if police officier asking your, hmmm, ID, this is not your business why he do that, you just make yourself looks like potentional criminal or something.

Cops are generally people like you and me and that guy. Make their work easier and don't be a douchebag.

He was simply asking why they wanted his ID, I can't make a correct assumption as it's a 40 second video but if I got held up by police asking for my ID, i'd at least want to know why.

First few lines of the video "do you have a train ticket sir? Do you have a train ticket or not?"

In Australia checking tickets is pretty normal, asking for Id along with it is customary. His attitude + getting all defensive when asked for ID repeatedly by multiple cops is simply asking for trouble imho.

First few lines of the video "do you have a train ticket sir? Do you have a train ticket or not?"

In Australia checking tickets is pretty normal, asking for Id along with it is customary. His attitude + getting all defensive when asked for ID repeatedly by multiple cops is simply asking for trouble imho.

I do know that, I live in Australia and have been asked for tickets multiple times. But think about it this way, if someone came up to you asking for your address for no particular reason, would you respond with your actual address or ask why they wanted to know beforehand? Just because they're police doesn't mean they have an obligation to know your business and harass you and physically abuse you because you asked a simple question.

Why are people so against cops? They're doing their job and if you piss them off and be a smart ass I think they have the right to tell you to quit it and do whatever is necessary. If you don't show your ID it seems like you're hiding something and you could be breaking the law.

I guess your cousin pretty much asked for it, so it's not the cop's fault, tell your cousin to obey the law and do what he's told, instead of saying "OI MATE WHY DO YA WANT ME ID?"

Also, why would he randomly record cops? That seems pretty suspicious to me, and I guess I can see why he got hurt.

On the other hand, there wasn't really a need to physically hurt someone like that, so I can't REALLY make a decision until I hear both sides of the story.

Why are people so against cops? because the culture of police forces around the world is self-defensive in the many many many many cases of police brutality/excessive force/"i thought he had a gun so i shot him just to be safe it's self defense" incidents that occur. You're right, they're doing their job, i.e. protecting a set of interests that very often have little to do with public safety and more to do with the defense of vested interests, and in doing so they are able to get away with horrendous acts on a regular basis.

Why would he record cops? Because cops hit people, choke people out, etc, and then call an investigation which will never find anything, never find anyone guilty, and all the copper has to do is take paid leave as a punishment. If you've got a video, if you have a record, you have some protection.

The NYPD have launched an investigation into the death of Eric Garner. There is a video of murder in the 2nd degree, open and shut. Illegal chokehold, man screaming for help, cop killing him. But instead of a prosecution, there's an investigation. Even a video recording didn't save him. Why do people hate cops again?

Sure, there's no real reason to give them attitude or invite them to do it, but still. Police forces are supposed to keep us safe, not physically assault someone for getting lippy.

Archived