Does a duped unusual affect price?

BᴱTA Slaüsh

Yeah it matters when you resell, because most trades use it as a retarded excuse to get it cheaper.

Practically? Not at all.

Yeah it matters when you resell, because most trades use it as a retarded excuse to get it cheaper.

Practically? Not at all.

Practically? Practically it does affect.

It really depends on the unusual imo.

Think of the Mona Lisa (inb4 someone says mona lisa has no value and is shit) being dupe/clone/copied and it's originality is gone and value goes down.

A rock. Meh it doesn't matter. Why even do it? If it doesn't have any sort of value?

Not the best explanation considering if the rock (cancer unusuals) gets duped it doesn't change the value, but I guess you get the idea.

*Cough* Never touch cancer unusuals *Cough*

Depends on hat, market, effect...

But if you're trading low-tier, meh, you dont have to care too much about it.

Had...like more than...idk... low-tiers and never got single problem to sell, for the fact of being duped by itself(Maybe hat was super cancerous and hard to sell, but, duped didnt do anything)

EDIT:

Go on cancer unusuals.

They are very profiting, you just need to get them for good prices.

But dont new gen or robo, or unpriced, untill you get some experience.

Trust me, cancers unusuals can make profit very fast.

yes, because some day you will get an offer you like and then they retract because your hat is duped, then you wait another 2 weeks or so to sell it

http://forums.backpack.tf/index.php?/topic/6817-bpbs-mini-suggestion-thread-for-gifted-duped-hats/

Close to 100 pricechecks on that link now, so not an unreasonable sample size

At some point I'll consolidate and do some stats comparing by generation of effect, tier of the hat / effect, class, etc.

I can tell you from what I have seen so far, duping sometimes matters on hats worth ~2 buds in value and sometimes doesn't matter on hats 8 buds in value. General rule of thumb that I consider when I trade unusuals is that I don't bother checking on hats <5 buds, and on most hats it probably starts mattering at ~3 buds in value.

I don't see how a duped hat affects value, but yes people have used that as an excuse and I have even myself have used it before as an excuse to get what i want cheaper.

Duping tends to matter more as the hat value goes up, and when rarity for the hat/effect is high. If you have a hat with 1:1 in the world top Halloween or Burning/Scorching/Sunbeams, and then it gets duped? It def hurts. The same as if the hat was unboxed again in a legit way, now you have 2 and maybe one guy will settle for less etc

It doesn't matter as much for hats that are more common, even if they are above a certain threshold. I don't think many people would mind if their Blizzard KE was duped (even though it's past say 5 buds or whatever threshold), since you could probably find 8+ on the market at any given time regardless.

Usually cheap ones won't be affected but that isn't always the case. Just dig into it a bit to see.

Archived